Dr. Leigh Bergmann M.D. F.A.C.S. – Pennsylvania Urologist
Dr. Leigh Bergmann Philadelphia Magazine 2013, 2017 voted Top Doc Transplant-kidney, earned his undergraduate degree from Brandeis University and his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine. He then completed his general surgery residency at the University of Connecticut, New Britain General Hospital. He went on to serve as Transplant Fellow, and then to complete his urology residency at the University of Connecticut. Dr. Bergmann has published and presented numerous urological articles, especially with special focus on kidney and liver transplantation. He is also certified by the American Board of Urology.
1978-1982 Brandeis University B.A.Waltham, Massachusetts
- 1993-1997 University of Connecticut Urology Resident Farmington, Connecticut
- 1991-1993 University of Connecticut Transplant Fellow Hartford Hospital Hartford, Connecticut
- 1986-1990 University of Connecticut General Surgery New Britain General Hospital Intern/Resident New Britain, Connecticut
- 1982-1986 University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine M.D. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Main Line Hospitals Attending Urologist Jefferson Health System
- Bryn Mawr Hospital Director; Thomas Jefferson University Residency Program in Urology
- Surgical Representative, Bryn Mawr Hospital Graduate Medical Education Committee
Committees & Certifications
Committees & Certifications
- Main Line Health Community Clinical Oncology Program
- Bryn Mawr Hospital Cancer Committee
- Main Line Health Information Systems Physician Advisory Committee
- Chief, Bryn Mawr Hospital Clinical Decision Support Physician Council
- MEDICAL LICENSURE: Medical Doctor License – Pennsylvania 1981, Connecticut and New York
- The American Board of Urology February, 1999
- American Urologic Association
- Mid-Atlantic Section, American Urologic Association
- Pennsylvania Medical Society
- Montgomery County Medical Society
- American College of Surgeons
Awards & Honors
Awards & Honors
- 1981 Phi Beta Kappa Magna Cum Laude Biology – Brandeis University
- 1982 Rishon M. Bialer Memorial for Outstanding 1982 Achievement in Science Brandeis University
- 1982 Class of 1955 Endowment Fund Award for Scholastic Achievement Brandeis University
- 1992 Howard Levine MD Science Award for Clinical Research in Kidney Transplantation University of Connecticut Affiliated Hospitals
Publications & Presentations
Publications & Presentations
1. Expanded Uses of Teflon Sheaths in Interventional Uroradiology. Bergmann LS, Banner MP, Pollack HM. American Roentgen Ray Society, Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., April . 1986
2. Grover Cleveland’s Secret Surgery. Bergmann LS, Belinkie SA, Brown SA. New England Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Annual Meeting, Newport RI, June 1987.
3. Cystadenomas of the Pancreas. Bergmann LS, Russell JC, Gladstone A. American College of Surgeons, Connecticut Chapter, Annual Meeting, Cromwell CT, December 1988.
4. Malignancy Arising in Colorectal Endometriosis. Bergmann LS, Thornton SC. New England Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Annual Meeting, Newport RI, April 1991.
5. The Need for Biopsies in Gastrointestinal Cytomegalovirus Infection in Organ Transplant Recipients. Bergmann LS, Fischman MA, Hull D, Bartus SA, Olson N, Rosson R, Schweizer RT. American College of Gastroenterology, 56th Annual Scientific Meeting, Boston MA, October 1991.
6. Cause of Late Graft Failure in Cadaver Kidney Transplant Recipients. Bergmann LS, Roper L, Alsina A, Hull D, Bartus SA, Schweizer RT. Fellow Conference on Transplantation, Chicago IL, November 1991.
7. Malignancy Arising in Colorectal Endometriosis. Bergmann LS, Thornton SC. Southern Medical Association, 85th Annual Scientific Assembly, Atlanta GA, November 1991.
8. Auxiliary Partial Liver Transplantation (APLT) in Pigs with Acute Ischemic Liver Failure.
Nagashima I, Alaina A, Bergmann LS, Schweizer RT. International Liver Transplant Society
Meeting, Minneapolis MN, April 1992.
9. Late Graft Loss After Cadaveric Renal Transplantation. Bergmann LS, Roper L, Bow LM, Hull D, Bartus SA, Schweizer RT. Tenth Collaborative Transplant Study Meeting, Heidelberg Germany, May 1992.
10. Cause of Late Graft Failure in Cadaveric Renal Transplantation. Bergman LS, Roper L, Bow LM, Hull D, Bartus SA, Schweizer RT. 14th International Congress of the Transplantation Society, Paris France, August 1992.
11. Discrimination of the SLA CC and DD Haplotype of Mini-swine by Polymerase Chain Reaction. Bergmann LS, Bow LM, Alberghini TV, Schweizer RT. The American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics, 18th Annual Meeting, Kansas City MO, October 1992.
12. The Use of Kidneys from Nonheartbeating Donors for Transplantation. Invited Speaker. Clinical Transplant Forum, United Network for Organ Sharing, Boston MA, October 1992.
13. How Can We Share Portal Blood Inflow in Auxiliary Partial Heterotopic Liver Transplantation Without Portal Hypertension? Nagashima I, Bergmann LS, Schweizer RT. World Association of Hepatobiliary Surgery, First European Congress, Paris France, June 1993.
14. Development of Acid Lipase Using Fluorescence Intensity Measurement. Bergmann LS, Mandavilli S, Roper L, Schweizer RT, Brintle E, Wu A, Moore R. American Association for Clinical Chemistry, Annual Meeting, New York NY, July 1993.
15. Successful Transplantation of Kidney from Nonheartbeating Donors. Bergmann LS, McNab J, Roper L, Schweizer RT. Eighteenth Annual North American Transplant Coordinators Meeting, August 1993.
16. Successful Transplantation of Kidneys from Nonheartbeating Donors. Bergmann LS, Roper L, Hull D, Bartus S, Perdrizet G, Schweizer RT. New England Section of the American Urological Association, 64th Annual Meeting, Newport RI, September 1995.
17. The Birth of the Resectoscope and Transurethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP). Bergmann LS, Naitoh J, Shichman S, Kosto B. American Urological Association, 92nd Annual Meeting, New Orleans LA, April 1997.
18. Bergmann LS, Russell JC, Gladstone A, Devers T. Cystadenomas of the Pancreas. American Surgeon 58(1):65-71, 1992.
19. Bergmann LS, Roper L, Bow LM, Hull D, Bartus SA, Schweizer RT. Late Graft After Cadaveric Renal Transplantation. Transplantation Proceedings 24(6):2718-2719, December 1992.
20. Bergmann LS, Roper L, Bow LM, Hull D, Bartus SA, Schweizer RT. Cause of Late Graft Failure in Cadaveric Renal Transplantation. Transplantation Proceedings 25(1):1340-1341, February 1993.
21. Bergmann LS, Nagashima I, Alsina A, Schweizer RT. Auxiliary Partial Liver Transplantation (APLT) in Pigs With Acute Ischemic Liver Failure. Transplantation Proceedings 25 (2):1933-1934, April 1993.
22. Bergmann LS, McNab JM, Roper L, Schweizer RT. Successful Transplantation of Kidneys From Nonheartbeating Donors. J Transplant Coordination 4:103-106, 1994.
23. Bergmann LS, Nagashima I, Schweizer RT. How Can We Share the Portal Blood Inflow in Auxiliary Partial Heterotopic Liver Transplantation Without Portal Hypertension? Surgery 116(1):101-106, 1994.
24. Bergmann LS, Mulhall JP. Ciprofloxacin-Induced Acute Psychosis. Urology 46:102-103, 1995
25. Bergmann LS, Shichman S. Physiologic Considerations in Laparoscopic Surgery. In: Sosa RE, Albala DM, Jenkins AD, Perlmutter AP (eds): Textbook of Endourology. Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders Company, 1997.
26. Bergmann LS, Thornton SC, Dever TJ. Sclerosing Cholangitis Following Blunt Abdominal Trauma and Hepatic Artery Ligation. The American Journal of Gastroenterology 86(9):1324, 1991.
27. Bergmann LS, Schweizer RT, Fischman MA, Hull D, Bartus SA, Olson N, Rosson R. The Need for Biopsies in Gastrointestinal Cytomegalovirus Infection in Organ Transplant Recipients. The American Journal of Gastroenterology 86(9):1366, 1991.
28. Bergmann LS, Bow LM, Alberghini TV, Schweizer RT. Discrimination of the SLA CC and DD Haplotype of Mini-swine by Polymerase Chain Reaction. Human Immunology 34(51):200, 1992.
29. Bergmann LS, Naitoh J, Shichman S, Kosto B. The Birth of the Resectoscope and Transurethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP). The Journal of Urology 157(4):154, 1997.