Dr. David J. Ellis, M.D. F.A.C.S. – Pennsylvania Urologist
Dr. David J. Ellis M.D. F.A.C.S. Rosemont, PA
Dr. David J. Ellis Urologist who earned his undergraduate degree at LaSalle College and his medical degree at Jefferson Medical College with distinction. He completed his general surgery training at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in San Francisco and then his urology residency at the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia. Dr. Ellis has received special training in Laparoscopy, Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy, Laser, and Ultrasound applications. He currently serves as Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology at Jefferson Medical College and as Attending Physician at The Bryn Mawr Hospital.
He has assumed multiple leadership positions in the medical community. He is a former member of the Medical Executive Committee of Main Line Health Hospitals and treasurer of the Medical Staff. Currently, while in full-time practice, Dr. Ellis serves as the president of Academic Urology of PA, LLC, the largest single group practice of Urology in Pennsylvania.
He is certified by the American Board of Urology and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He has been voted “Top Physician” for many consecutive years. Dr. Ellis is a member of the Philadelphia Urological Society and the Urological Association of Pennsylvania, Inc.
Dr. Ellis’ special interests include:
Prostate cancer, prostate disease, urinary malignancies, kidney stone therapy, and impotence. He particularly enjoys the mentoring of the next generation of urologists. He considers this activity his most important in enhancing care for all current and future patients.
- 1987 Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Urology Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Residency
- 1983 Kaiser Permanente Medical Center General Surgery San Francisco, California Residency
- 1982 Highland General Hospital General Surgery Oakland, California Internship
- 1981 Jefferson Medical College M.D. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Urology Award
- 1977 LaSalle College B.A. Biology Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Magna Cum Laude
- Interstim Peripheral Neurostimulator Certificate 1999
- Laser Prostatectomy Certificate 1993Laparoscopy Certificate 1991
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy Certificate 1988 University of Pennsylvania
- Laser Certificate 1988University of Pennsylvania
- Diagnostic Urologic Ultrasound Certificate 1986Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
1998 Bryn Mawr Urology/Urorehab P.C. President Urologic Surgery and Medicine
1991 Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology, Jefferson Medical College
1991 Instructor Department Family Practice – Current Bryn Mawr Hospital
Co-Director Laparoscopic Teaching Current Bryn Mawr Urology Seminars
Instructor Lasers in Urology Course October 30, 1993 Johns Hopkins University Hospital
1990 The Bryn Mawr Hospital
1997 Lankenau Hospital
1997 Paoli Memorial Hospital
1987 Mercy Community Hospital
1995 – Current Whitehall Insurance Company
1996 – 2000 Main Line Health Hospitals Medical Executive
1997 – 2000 Treasurer Main Line Health Hospital Medical Staff
1997- Current Renaissance Medical Alliance Physician Organization Finance Committee Chairman
- CONSULTANCY TO GOVERNMENT AND INDUSTRY:
2000 DigitalDoctor.com Physician Advisory Board
1999 Uronet Consulting Committee Development of Clinical Guidelines for Overactive Bladder
1998-Current Aetna – US Healthcare Specialists Advisory Committee
1998 National Council on the Aging Advisory Panel
1996 – 1998 U.S. Healthcare Urology Quality Committee
- The Bryn Mawr Hospital Tumor Board
- The Main Line Health Medical Executive
- Committee- At Large Representative(Effective 7/03)
- The Bryn Mawr Hospital Staff
- Campus Executive Committee(resigned 7/03)
- Bryn Mawr Hospital Credentials Committee
- 1993 Philadelphia Urological Society
- 1991 American College of Surgeons
- 1989 Mid-Atlantic Section of AUA
- 1987 Urological Association of Pennsylvania, Inc.
- 1987 Pennsylvania Medical Society
- 1987 Delaware County Medical Society
- 1987 Jefferson Medical College Alumni Association
- 1989 American Board of Urology
- 1999 American Board of Urology Recertification
- 1981 Medical Doctor License – Pennsylvania
Awards & Honors
Awards & Honors
- 1987 First Prize Clinical Research Resident’s Night Philadelphia Urological Society
- 1986 Third Prize Clinical Research Resident’s Night Philadelphia Urological Society
- 1985 Second Prize Clinical Research Resident’s Night Philadelphia Urological Society
- America’s Top Docs 2000 and 2002
- Top Docs of the Main Line 2002
- America’s Top Physicians 2003
- In Progress 2000 Dendreon Corporation / Protocol D9901 and D9903
“ A Randomized, Double Blind, Placebo Controlled Trial of Immunotherapy With Autologous Antigen-Loaded Dendritic Cells (APC8015) For Asymptomatic Metastatic Hormone Refractory Prostate Cancer.”
- In Progress 2000 Pharmacia and Upjohn / Protocol #583E – URO-0084-023
“ A Patient Acceptability of a Once-Daily Formulation of Tolterodine – A Phase IIIB, Open Label, Single-Arm Trial in Adult Patients With Overactive Bladder and Symptoms of Urinary Frequency, Urgency, And/Or Urge Incontinence.”
- In Progress 2000 Yamanouchi U.S.A. Inc./ Protocol #905-CL-013
“ A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled, Parallel-Group, Fixed-Dose, Multi-Center Study to Assess Efficacy and Safety of Daily Oral Administration of 10 mg. YM905 Versus Placebo in Male and Female Subjects With Overactive Bladder.”
- Completed 2000 Merck & Co.
“ A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Multi-Center Study to Evaluate The Safety and Efficacy of Rofecox 1B In The Treatment of Chronic Non-Bacterial Prostatitis.”
- Completed* 1999 Eli Lilly / Protocol FIJ-MC-SAAW
“ Duloxetne Versus Placebo In The Relief of Stress Incontinence.”
*Earliest Nationally to Enroll *Earliest to Completion *Exceeded Enrollment by ? 200%
Publications & Presentations
Publications & Presentations
1. “Update on Men’s Health Issues II: Impotence, Prostatism”, Ellis, D.J. Presented in Philadelphia, PA on November 4, 1999, and Mainland, PA on October 20, 1999.
2. “Sexual Dysfunction Male and Female”, Ellis, D.J. Presented The Bryn Mawr Hospital, Bryn Mawr, PA on October 26, 1999.
3. “Open Communication About Men’s Health”, Ellis, D. J. Presented in Philadelphia, PA on September 30, 1999.
4. “Challenging Cases In Urology. Physician Extenders Adjunctive Role in Urologic Practice”,
Ellis, D.J. Presented in Miami, FL on February 19, 1999.
5. “Diagnosis, Recognition, And Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction, Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia And Incontinence”, Ellis, D. J. Presented in Philadelphia, PA on January 27, 1999.
6. “Update Men’s Health Issues”, Ellis, D.J. Presented Faculty Training, Newport Beach, CA on August 28, 1998.
7. “Incontinence Centers: Clinical Effectiveness”, Ellis, D.J. Network For Urology Communication and Research Annual Meeting . Presented in Atlanta, GA on March, 1998.
8. “Innovations in Diagnosis And Treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Topic: A New System for Diagnosis and Management of BPH”, Ellis, D. J. Presented in Blue Bell, PA on June 28, 1995 and Philadelphia, PA on December 8, 1995.
9. “Use of Ketorolac Tromethamine for Radical Retropubic Prostatectomy Analgesia: Comparison with Narcotic Analgesics”. Ellis, D.J.; Squadrito, J.F.; Liberman, D.N.; Sansone, T.C.; Bernstein, G.T.; and Thompson, J. Presented at 53rd Annual Meeting of Mid-Atlantic Section of American Urological Association, Southamptom Princess, Bermuda, September 17 – 20, 1995.
10. “One Year Follow-Up of Non-Contact Laser Prostatectomy”. Ellis, D.J. and Squadrito, J.F. Presented at Mid-Atlantic Section of AUA Fifty-Second Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, PA, September 21 – 24, 1994.
11. “Reduced Hospitalization and Costs Using a Clinical Pathway for Patients Undergoing Radical Prostatectomy”, Ellis, D.J.; Squadrito, J.F.; Thompson, J.W.; Sansone, T.C.; Clark, A.A., R.N.; and Lara, A.E., R.N. Presented at Mid-Atlantic Section of AUA Fifty-Second Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, PA , September 21 – 24, 1994.
12. “The Use of ND/YAG Lasers in Urology and BPH”. Presented by Ellis, D.J. and Squadrito, J.F., Visiting Professor Lecture. Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, October 30, 1993.
13. “Renal Biopsy”, Ellis, D.J.; Squadrito, J.F. in Laparoscopic Urologic Surgery, Gomella, L.G.; Kozminski, M.; Winfield, H.N. eds. Raven Press, New York, NY, 1993.
14. “Prostate Cancer Staging”. Ellis, D.J. Presented to Pennsylvania Tumor Registry Association, King of Prussia, PA, 1993.
15. “Cost Analysis of Open Versus Laparoscopic Lymph Node Dissection”, Ellis, D.J.; Squadrito, J.F.; Sansone, T.C.; Gomella, L.G.
a. Presented at the American Urological Society Mid-Atlantic Section – September, 1992.
b. Publication pending.
16. “Impotence in the Elderly: Evaluation of Erectile Failure in Males Greater Than 70 Years of Age”, Janell L. Carroll, Ph.D.; Ellis, D.J.; Bagley, D.H.; et al, Urology, XXXIX: 226, 1992.
17. “Lasers in Urology and Laparoscopy”, Ellis, D.J. and Squadrito, J.F.
a. Presented at The Bryn Mawr Hospital, Bryn Mawr Laparoscopy Seminar, May, 1991.
b. Presented at Philadelphia, PA, Bryn Mawr Laparoscopy Seminar, June, 1991.
18. “Age-Related Changes in Hormones in Impotent Men”, Carroll, J, L., Ph.D.; Ellis, D.J.; et al, Urology, XXXVI: 42, 1990
19. “Snap-Gauge Band vs. Multidisciplinary Evaluation in Impotence Assessment”, Allen, J.; Ellis, D.J.; et al, Urology, XXXIV: 197, 1989.
20. “Snap-Gauge Band vs. Penile Rigidity in Impotence Assessment”, Ellis, D.J.; et al, J. Urology, 140:61, 1988.
21. “Ureteroscopy Under Local Anesthesia”, Rittenberg, M.H.; Ellis, D.J.; and Bagley, D.H., Urology XXX, 475, 1987.
22. “Comparison of Snap-Gauge Band to Multisystemic Evaluation in Impotence Assessment”, Ellis, D.J. Presented at the Philadelphia Urological Society, 1986.
23. “Preputial Calculus: A Case Report”, Ellis, D.J.; et al, J. Urology, 136:464, 1986.
24. “A Simplified Method of Indwelling Ureteral Stent Removal”, Siegel, A.; Altadonna, V.; Ellis, D.J.; Duckett, J., et al, Urology, XXVII, 429, 1986.
25. “Hyperprolactinemia in Impotence: Is Testing Necessary? (Abstract), Ellis, D.J., et al, J. Urology, 135: April, 1986.
a. Presented at the National Meeting of the American Urological Association, New York, NY, 1986.
b. Presented at the Mid-Atlantic Section Meeting of the American Urological Association, Philadelphia, PA, 1985.
26. “The Impotent Population”, (Abstract), Ellis, D. J., et al, XX Congress Der Internationalen Gesellschat fur Urologie, 1985.
27. “Psychological Factors in Erectile Failure: A Life Span View”, (Abstract), Goldberg, D.C.; Bagley, D.H.; Ellis, D.J.; et al, J. Urology, 133:308A, April, 1985.
28. “Endocrinology in The Impotent Population”, (Abstract), Ellis, D.J., et al, J. Urology, 133:220A, April, 1985.
a. Delivered at the National Meeting of the American Urological Association, Atlanta, GA, 1985.
b. Presented at the Philadelphia, Urological Society, 1985.
29. “Impotence in the elderly Male”, (Abstract), Ellis, D.J., et al, J. Urology, 131:232A, April, 1984.
a. Delivered at the National Meeting of the American Urological Association, New Orleans, LA, 1984.
b. Presented at the Philadelphia Urological Society, 1984.